- Since 1989 we have been helping women break the cycle of poverty and unemployment. We are a nonprofit organization that teaches job readiness and life skills for entry-level jobs through employment in our gourmet food production and handmade jewelry manufacturing businesses. Women come with the goal of transforming their lives and moving toward self sufficiency.
- To change women’s lives by providing stepping stones to self-sufficiency through social enterprise.
- Women’s Bean Project strives to break the cycle of chronic unemployment and poverty by helping women discover their talents and develop skills by offering job readiness training opportunities.
- With this stepping stone toward success, the women will be able to support themselves and their families, and create stronger role models for future generations.
- Jossy Eyre founded the Women’s Bean Project in 1989 as a result of her volunteer work at a day shelter for homeless women. Eyre saw that while the shelter kept women safe, if could not help them make lasting changes in their lives. Eyre bought $500 worth of beans and put two homeless women to work – the first step in building the social enterprise we are today. Our training opportunities have expanded dramatically over the years, and annual operating budget has grown from $6,100 to over $1.5 million
Information and media taken from Women’s Bean Project website @ http://www.womensbeanproject.com/whatwedo.html