- In 1997, in the aftermath of NAFTA and its displacement, trauma and impact on women and workers, La Mujer Obrera established El Puente Community Development Corporation, to create economic opportunity with/for displaced women workers and other low income community members, especially those living and working in the South Central barrio, the former Garment District of El Paso.
- El Puente’s mission is true to its name. Virtually unparalleled in the country as a grassroots Mexican immigrant women’s organization involved in development tied to empowerment.
- To generate economic opportunity, El Puente focuses on:
Small Business Support
- To strengthen community members’ skills and knowledge, El Puente includes:
Workforce Training and Basic Skills Education
Access to Technology
- With these programs, in conjunction with its parent La Mujer Obrera, El Puente has achieved outstanding results and recognition for women’s empowerment and community economic development including:
Conversion of four dilapidated buildings into a hub for dynamic neighborhood revitalization
Seven social purpose businesses
Information and Media taken from La Mujer Obrera website @ http://www.mujerobrera.org/elpuente.html